French military rifle book reprint

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

French military rifle book reprint

Post by 72 usmc »

This book is being reprinted: CHASSEPOT TO FAMAS: FRENCH MILITARY RIFLES, 1866 – 2016 by Ian McCollum.
From what I heard from the few that got some of the original first editions, it is in ENGLISH and great for those interested in French firearms. Like a fool when it first was offered I did not do a preorder because there was so many copies. MISTAKE, huge mistake! They had a rather limited printing and it sold out fast.
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 2.13.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 2.13.14 PM.png (114.41 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
REVIEW: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/book-r ... 1866-2016/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhr17hGGslU
https://militarymatters.online/editoria ... eo-review/
This book is the first English-language work to comprehensively cover the subject, and includes all major models of French rifles:

Chassepot
Gras
Kropatschek
Lebel
Berthier
RSC
MAS-36
MAS-40/44/49/56
FR-F1/2
FAMAS
Each chapter includes a history of the rifle’s development and its intended use, along with information concerning known variants, production numbers, markings, disassembly and mechanical operation, bayonets, and a history of deployment and combat use. French small arms have played a unique role in global firearms development, often ahead of the curve and always unique. Supported by world-class color photography and printed to the highest standards, Chassepot to FAMAS is not just a valuable reference tool but also a beautiful book worthy of any discerning library.

So as a reminder to any fools that thought they could get it cheep on flee bay or amazon--- dream on...

Ian is doing a second printing. How many I do not know. There are no books about French firearms in English. So if you are into French rifles, I strongly suggest you do not wait. Today after trading off some ammo to get some cash, I decided to get this expensive book. Cost is $95 :o , which is high, but in line with most gun books or academic archaeology and science books. It is hard cover, and huge-- 532 pages. Lots of photos in the one I saw. Also one would think at $95 shipping would be free, another dream on baby... it costs an additional $16 or $ 8 media mail. Total cost will be $103.

For a review or to order here is a link see : https://www.headstamppublishing.com/french-rifle-book

I expect the number to be a limited edition and will sellout again fast, especially since word got around how nice it is. :shhh:
So I corrected my error. I did a pre order. They should arrive from the printer after 1 Aug. 2021.

This book will be like the K98 books by Third Party Press--- expensive , key references for niche collectors, and never seen on the used market.
I ordered because I am thinking so many may order it, that the book may go out of print while in pre order status??? Call me nuts, but like a kid I want my book. I hesitated once, learned a lesson, and I am getting a second chance. I am happy. Thank you Ian. :clap: I love French firearms and want a key reference. It costs to play.

So for you old, retired tight wads, give it some thought :think: Maybe order one. :roll: :shifty: :shhh:
Funny, this was more than the cost of most surplus French rifles 30 years ago :confusion-shrug:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: French military rifle book reprint

Post by 72 usmc »

The second printing of Chassepot to FAMAS has begun, with a current delivery estimate of August 23, 2021. We are now accepting pre-orders for the second printing.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Chassepot to FAMAS:1 sept 2021 [SHIPPING NOW]
The second printing of Chassepot to FAMAS arrived at our fulfillment center on September 1, 2021 and began shipping on September 2.
:clap: :dance: :D :D :D :D
Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Airforce1 »

I got mine first printing. Still have not opened it.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Mine just arrived today, as good as it gets. Worth every penny if you have any interest in French rifles.
Very well packaged in a nice, hard, crush proof box. Plastic is around the book so if the box gets wet the book remains perfect. Printed in China??? One would think it could be done in the US. :doh: :snooty: China sucks...
IMG_3867.jpg
IMG_3868.jpg
IMG_3869.jpg
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Just the section on Berthiers and the Mas 36 make this book a deal. I tell you all if you have any interest in French rifles buy this before it's out of print. Best purchase I made in a long time....
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Also nice are Jean Huons books, in French if you love the Mas36 . One semester of French and I learned :shhh: un, deus, trots ... I got a F in French in HS back in the 1960s, but the goal was access to all the girls in the class. I was the only guy that took French, so I got to the two I wanted to date... :roll: :dance: A wild and crazy blond that dumped me when I enlisted in the USMC to get to Nam... :violin: :lol: :lol: funny thing, I never went, the whole group out of boot were 0311s and me, some how I got 2141, a M48 A3 Tank mechanic.. go figure... :oops:
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.08.03 AM.png

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mas+36&me=A1 ... nb_sb_noss

Return to “Books and Literature”