Forum for rifles not listed
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Aladdin’s Cave of Ethiopian Arms from InterOrdnance =RTI

Post by 72 usmc »

Update this post saved on the wayback Archive 27 june 2021:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210627211 ... f=8&t=4259

Treasures, rotton worn junk, or a gold mine? Or as spoken...
this really is a tremendous opportunity
:shhh: :shhh:
Most of these firearms seem to be in very poor condition. At least the few shown on the different forums. The best examples do not go to the general public for sale, they are absorbed into private collections that have connections. When they first appeared I was excited, but then the condition of most became known and the prices were crazy for the condition of what you get. More than a few made exchanges/returns and found that Royal Tiger Industries want 20% to restock if you try and return the beat up rifle they sent you. But they are better if you actually call and give and get an idea of condition expectations. Classic is also difficult. Of late, Customer Service in the gun industry seems so-so. An order is :roll: crap shoot at best. I have not seen these rifles as yet at WI gun shows. Maybe due to their high prices, no one can actually resell one without taking a loss or making a profit. I have no idea of dealer costs, just that these firearms are not yet common at our shows. Maybe I am too old, but most examples seem like $100-200 wall hangers sold at much higher prices.
A nuts example, a junk, good condition at best Mauser for :roll: :snooty: :snooty:
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 10.11.39 AM.png
Has anyone seen tables full at their local gun shows?? Has any member actually purchased an Ethiopian rifle they can report about and show some detailed pictures??

Forgotten Weapons has
been able to bring you a bunch of videos of guns with Ethiopian connections over the last few months thanks to InterOrdnance, aka Royal Tiger Imports. They have purchased essentially the entire stock of obsolete arms in Ethiopian stockpiles and brought them to the collector market here in the US. Because Ethiopia had military support from such a wide variety of nations over the past 140+ years, and because they kept even very old rifles in stockpiles, this is a real treasure chest of collectible rifles. It is on par with things like Sam Cummings buying up the Spanish stocks in the 1950s and IMA buying out the Nepalese stocks 10 or 20 years ago.

The guns coming out of Ethiopia are often very worn, but many of them have a truly unique history and they cover nearly a century of development from single shot systems like the Burden and Gras to bolt action repeaters like the Carcano, Enfield, and Mauser to Cold War self loading rifles like the MAS 49/56, Hakim, and vz.52. For the collector, this really is a tremendous opportunity, which we are unlikely to see again for a long time.
general https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GpKGePUr_Q

Forgotten Weapons
references video https://www.forgottenweapons.com/tag/ethiopia/

Magazine https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... r-imports/

Who knows what this pile of Enfield JC's will sell for.... A junk JC for a thousand???? :lol: :lol:
haile-selassie-treasure-royal-tiger-import-guns-12.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Aladdin’s Cave of Ethiopian Arms from InterOrdnance =RTI

Post by 72 usmc »

Has anyone purchased any of these to report on?
I wonder what seeds, dormant bug eggs/moths, worms, mold/fungus spores are in the wood. Do they have worm holes? Dry rot where the wood just flakes/splinters away or compresses? Is there a ton of contaminated dirt under the wood or in the action? I wonder if they had treatments like the CMP Philippines rifles ? Definitely a stock I would give a dip into mineral spirits and some gas then give it a scrub just to get odd things off the wood.
Also the metal. :lol: :lol: :hand: :think: :think: :think:

Then deal with barrel conditions and if they headspace or bolts match??? :shhh: No mention of detailed conditions, a nice $1000 roll of the dice for a possible $100 dog. I figure all the parts are present, well maybe, no mention of cleaning rods, or broken and missing screws :violin: :violin:

Classic does say theirs are professionally cleaned in this video, hence the high price? View at 2.00-2.09 it indicates refurbished & cleaned, maybe by these two jokers :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

Apparently RTI firearms are somewhat cleaned at least in the pictures. They indicate
Included in some of these first batches are pre-1898 guns, which are antiques and can be shipped straight from Royal Tiger to you. Other non-gun treasures have emerged as well, including some fairly rare bayonets, and there are also accessories for both the 98k and other rifles.
a list of antiques With "select" at an additional $100 :roll: :doh: : https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1917.htm
bayonets from the hoard, also expensive :doh: https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1916.htm

Apparently the bayonets are filty -as found. A review indicates "Fair condition, complete, but dirty with staining and light pitting on the blade. Overall worth the c-note but $35 shipping is stupid. And they were not shipped in a box for $35. "They were shipped in a bubble mailer which was torn open and taped when it arrived. " Back in the late 1990s Century pulled the same, my envelope package arrived torn open and both bayonets were missing. Back then M95 bayonets were only $15 & they sent me two replacements. Those were the same goofs that left 4 crates of Mosin sniper ammo on the steps for a week, it was still there when I came back from an Arch. project up north.

Anyone know the story on the wood condition and decontamination process? :roll:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Polaris428

Post by Polaris428 »

Based on a lot of reviews on YouTube and other forums, I've concluded this:

DK firearms, Buds guns got the "well stored" or "more properly stored" inventory from Ethiopa, mostly. They were lend lease or otherwise acquired, used, then put away. I even heard some had cosmoline on the metal parts.

Meanwhile RTI found a bunch of rifles stacked ceiling high in a pole shed in the middle of the desert, where they were deserted.

There are good examples coming from Ethiopia, just not through RTI.

RTI examples have exactly that, insect larvae, sand, and other interesting debris located in them due to the horrid storage conditions. Metal finish is completely gone. Wood is not much better.

I haven't heard much about Classics examples, so no news there.

I'll let you know if I see any in WI. Going to a few shows including the Fond Du Lac show in October... and I'll come back here to update.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

I cannot understand why people are still buying relic, beat, wall hanger firearms from RTI at top dollar amounts and some are suckered into the various selects that increase the price beyond nuts... :doh: :think: :think: :think:

Then they think they are going to get something nice....

Wasn't it Forest that said "RTI sucks"
Do a search and see the poor condition $100 firearms that sell at $400 and more... :violin: :violin:
I see so many on line forum reviews surprised at what they receive, and not in a positive direction :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-questionmarks:

I would have thought most have learned, but RTI still catches the fish.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

RTI new category ETR= Ethiopian Thorough Reject.
idea by milprileb

I like this, very appropriate and a great idea --make $150 floor lamps out of them :clap: :idea: :idea: :idea:

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/new-c ... r.1191549/
roverboy

Post by roverboy »

I looked on Royal Tiger website. A lot of it is sold out. Apparently M1 Carbines have went up drastically.
I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English? :confusion-confused:
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

More like from the basement of Alladin's cave from what I've heard & seen!
roverboy

Post by roverboy »

Most of those old rifles will clean up good.
I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English? :confusion-confused:
vintovka

Post by vintovka »

I was asked to appraise an 1874 French Gras Rifle. If there was an NRA grade below "Poor" it would be useful

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”