NM MILSURPS "Winter War" 800 yard match

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

NM MILSURPS "Winter War" 800 yard match

Post by Rapidrob »

Next Saturday 2/22/20 is our annual "Winter War" match using rifles/carbines of that period.
The target will be our AR550 Man Torso target set to 800 yards and the White light Electronic Flash Target Hit device.
You will shoot 20 rounds for score from the prone,front support only.
Open sights encouraged but original Sniper rifles will be allowed.
Bring you Spotting Scope to help spot rounds off target.
Practices have shown very good scores by club members. This will be a fun match.
Rob.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NM MILSURPS "Winter War" 800 yard match

Post by Rapidrob »

We held the match today. Weather was 5 MPH wind that changed direction every couple of minutes. Visibility was hazy and gray with rain in the forecast.
On hand were a Mauser K98k, Swedish M96, Finn M39, Finn M24, Four Mosin 91/30's and my 1891 Mosin Rifle.
With the atmosphere being very gray and hazy seeing the man torso target was a challenge as three sighting shots were allowed and hits were few.
Each shooter had 20 rounds to fire for score with two members firing in turn from the prone with the rifles resting on old ammo crates.
The winner had scored ten hits using his M96 Swede in 6.5 (match grade reloads) and me taking 2ND place with 8 hits with the 1891 Mosin ( reloads using surplus pulled lead core heavy ball bullets). 3RD place was a 91/30 with 6 hits after a shoot off for placement ( using light ball surplus)
Everyone had fun and as we were leaving the range, after the match was over, it started to rain and got colder and windy.
Shooting long range is just so much fun.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
ammolab

Re: NM MILSURPS "Winter War" 800 yard match

Post by ammolab »

Fun match but tough day for me. 2 hits out of 20 with the Finn M39. Plenty of close misses!

Maybe I should stick to hand grenades?

Return to “Shooting Events, Ranges and Locations”