Legion of Merit signed

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Legion of Merit signed

Post by 72 usmc »

I stumbled onto a nice signed medal not often seen. It was awarded to Richard McDermid as best as I can see with my old eyes.
This is a Real one that is signed-- must be post 1970s not engraved like WW II ones. Sort of below a Silver Star. But a pretty ribbon for display. Unfortunately it was not in the original awards case, found in a jewelry box at a rummage sale :dance: :doh: :snooty: $24, too much :whistle:

general: https://www.medalsofamerica.com/blog/le ... igibility/

When it comes to medals it is best to have the actual award ribbon with the number or name on it from /to the person it was actually awarded to. Not one purchased at a PX. I have no idea who Richard McDermid was and if he was from Wisconsin. Found in West Bend WI. Not sure if the individual was a vet or some political guy??? Also there is no number on the medal's edge, just the name. It is not one of the reproductions sold on Flee bay- it is a real ribbon.
IMG_3839.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg
IMG_3838.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Legion of Merit signed

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is a WW II signed original. This is engraved. I am not sure when the name imprint switched from engraved to the black lettering on medals???
s-l1600-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 1.52.57 PM.png

Here is a cheep Chinese garbage replica.
s-l1600-4.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories”