Review of MVU Arms Gew 88 single Shot Block

Cattus Borealis

Review of MVU Arms Gew 88 single Shot Block

Post by Cattus Borealis »

Howdy Folks,

This is a short review of MVU Arm's 3-D printed single shot converters.

I have purchased three of these for my 8x50R M-95 Rifle, Carcano TS Carbine and Gew 1888 Rifle.

Here is the converter for the Gew 1888:
It is well made in Florida by a 3-D Printer
IMG_20210619_101806637.jpg

Here is a cartridge in the rifle:

The Adapter is also well decorated with an Iron Cross.
IMG_20210619_101257231.jpg
The adapter works very well and is available on E-Bay for about $22 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203488913510?h ... Sw-0xgwVbX

I will be using this device for Hi-Power shooting this summer.

Take care,

CB
Attachments
IMG_20210619_101328201.jpg
IMG_20210619_101321346.jpg
DaleH

Re: Review of MVU Arms Gew 88 single Shot Block

Post by DaleH »

Neat SLED! Good price to boot!
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Cattus Borealis, Thanks.
A great idea if you do not have original Mannlicher style clips. Well, maybe depending on fit and wear. Do they allow for normal extraction of the empty cartridge? Can you provide some more data. What is the ease of placement and removal of the device? Please see other questions.

Are these used to avoid the use/need for an original enblock Mannlicher clip? You can avoid the expense of a few original enblock Mannlicher clips and not damage the extractor? Is it plastic, nylon, or metal? How well do the edges that snap in, hold up or do they round off due to cheep plastic? My concern is the notch rounds off and the part becomes plastic junk. How long is it's life expectancy due to wear in and out. How long have you had yours? Do they hold up to normal wear. I see they make ones for the Berthier, Carcano, Steyr and M1 Garand.
From the ebay description:
This is a single shot adapter for the Gewehr 88, commonly called the Model 1888 commission rifle. It will allow to properly chamber the cartridge without risking breaking the extractor claw.

The Gewehr 88 uses a controlled feed mechanism where the bolt picks up a cartridge and it moves upwards into the extractor claw on the face of the bolt. Forcing the bolt over the cartridge will result in a broken extractor.

This loading block fits right in the internal magazine just like a complete loaded en-bloc charger. It will lock in by the en-bloc clip latch when placed in so it will not fly out when being used and once you are done using it you then depress the en-bloc release button and it will come right out. The block fits inside the internal magazine very nicely but may be a little loose or snug. Once inserted just put the round on the bed of the adapter and push the bolt forward as you would do with any single shot rifle.

As mentioned, the block allow a controlled feed mechanism where the bolt picks up a cartridge, moves upwards into the extractor claw on the face of the bolt as it is chambering when closing the bolt and just like it does when using an en-bloc so that you not break the extractor.
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 5.09.24 PM.png
There is no mention of the material it is made from ( delrin?), its durability, and no reviews of this product after a year of use. On the ebay reviews most work, but it is tricky on some rifles because it may not fit and require fitting, may be tight, or may be loose??? Some just do not work, most likely due to the hand fitting on some of the old rifles during original manufacturing: see this comment about a Berthier:
High marks for seller. His adapters for Carcano and Mannlicher worked flawlessly. However, not the Berthier adapter. Unable to make it work properly. Seller sent two add'l adapters in an effort to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, no joy. My Berthier handles and feeds from actual en bloc clips just fine, but the adapters would not seat and feed properly. Believe that the design of the cartridge lifter is the issue. Despite experimentation, unable to make it work.
Positive lock-in when inserted. Fed rounds as intended. Positive ejection when released. Satisfied customer.
M91 Carcano single shot en-bloc adapter
Worked on one of my carcano rifles but not on another. It may need a little adjusting.
Here is the web page:
http://www.mvuarms.com

Now all that said, Gun Jesus- who really needs a hair cut, but who really knows his stuff, reviews these on this video produced Nov. 2020, but go to the end near/at 6:55 to see the talk about MVU blocks & a demonstration of how it functions. They seem to work fine if you got one rifle that it works in.
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 7.28.46 PM.png
see
https://surplused.com/index.php/2020/11 ... nd-beyond/
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Cattus Borealis

To answer your questions.

1. The clip allows for normal extraction.

2. The clip installs easily and is removed easily, just like a regular clip

3. I use it for Hi-Power shooting where there is a requirement to single load. This device eliminates the need to fumble with clips during slow fire stages.

4. The material is plastic 3-D printer media. Seems sturdy but I am not a materials engineer.

5. I don't know the long term durability since I have only shot 20 rounds with it. I plan on using it all summer so time will tell. The 88 converter was just put on the market about a week ago.

I think it will be fine for what I will be using it for.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Thank You . Apparently the industrial 3D printers use an ABS filament which is made of much tougher plastic that's more widely used in manufacturing processes.
ABS https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog ... ufacturing.

It shows Leggo blocks as an example- a fairly hard plastic if you ever stepped on one of those suckers...
ABS is very structurally sturdy, which is why it is used in things like camera housings, protective housings, and packaging. ABS is a good choice if you need an inexpensive, strong, stiff plastic that holds up well to external impacts.
Since I have more than a few Berthiers, I am going to buy one and see how it fits in different rifles and see the quality of the molding and clip notch. Thank you for reviewing this, it is interesting to say the least. If it works in a rifle, this product solves the hunt for original Mannlicher clips for most.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Cattus Borealis

Good luck!
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Ordered mine today and I will see how long it takes (FL to WI) and how it fits/functions in different Berthiers- both carbines and long rifles.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203180815370?h ... SwunJfr-qM

After I try it I will report back. For younger guys that do not have a cigar box full of original enblock mannlicher clips these may be a great device. :shhh:
The reproductions just do not get it.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

MVU Arms Loading Block-- Berthier Rifles

On a Berthier, this loading block functions correctly on some and not on others. I tested this loading block in seven different French Berthier rifles; it did not work on two. It seems to work fine on the 3 clip carbines and rifles.

I had incorrect fits of the loading block with the extended magazine, 5 round clip models of long rifle, 1907/15-16 Berthiers, and one carbine. In some it works perfectly, in others the fit is too loose or the loading block does not click into a lock position because the device has too much play to the front and back. The guide rails on the side of the magazine slot inside the well seem too wide on some Berthiers. On the rifles made by Chatellerault and marked Mle 1907-15 with the 1916 modified, 5 round magazines, most functioned alright, but one specimen did not take the loading block. I will show photos of the rifle that does not hold the block. My Continsouza marked Mle -M-16 worked fine and I will show photos of this working specimen. Both have extended 5 round magazine extensions.

I will show photos from my Continsouza Berthier long rifle where the loading block fits perfectly and functions, and then photos of my Chatellerault Berthier long rifle where the loading block fits loosely and will not lock in. Of the seven rifles tested, one carbine and one rifle had a loose fit. In all of the other rifles, the loading block fit perfectly, locked into place, and ejected in a normal manner.

How it Works
The MVU Arms loading blocks are made from a hard plastic similar to the plastic that “Lego“ blocks are made from. It seems a very durable plastic that should show little wear. Consisting of a solid block, it appears well made; the edges were rounded and not sharp. Arriving quickly in the mail, it was shipped in a padded paper envelope.

To Use
Open the rifle’s bolt and insert the MVU loading block with the cartridge cradle facing up and the flat bottom facing down. Push the block down into the magazine. It slides down easily into the magazine while at the same time, it pushes the follower down. It will, in most cases, click into the locking clip latch. If it does not latch into position, then it will not function in that rifle. When positioned and locked into place within the magazine, the loading block does not stay pushed all the way down at the base of the magazine; the follower’s springs push the loading block back upward a small amount. There is some movement to the loading block. There is some up & down spring movement while the device is firmly latched into place. It can shuttle slightly forward and backward. The receiver guides inside the receiver’s magazine seem to control this movement. When in place, the front, narrow portion of the loading block is slightly raised upward by the follower to allow for chambering of the cartridge. The rear is lightly held back against the latch. Place a round on the block and the bolt picks up the rim as the cartridge slides into the chamber. Open the chamber and the cartridge ejects. To remove the MVU loading block, push on the clip latch. This releases the light weight loading block that actually pops up into the air and clear of the rifle. It does not fall out of the bottom.

On a rifle, if you attempt to push the loading block into position and it does not lock into place and stay put, there is a problem. In this case, the receiver’s magazine slot was a little too wide, allowing the MVU loading block to move forward and become unlatched. As a result, it did not stay latched because forward movement of the loading block past the clip guides in the receiver allowed the loading block to move forward, unlatch, and pop back up and out of the magazine on my Chatellerault Berthier. The MVU loading block would not stay inserted in the rifle’s magazine.

See the Photo with Arrows
The large red arrow shows the receiver guides for an enblock Mannlicher French clip. The thinnest red arrow shows the receiver guide where the MVU loading block overrides the guide rails because on my Chatellerault Berthier these are slightly wider than the guide rails found on my Continsouza Berthier.

I would like to point out both rifles work fine with an original, French, 5 round loading clip. However, this is not the case with the MVU loading block. I would also like to state that Berthier parts are hand-fitted, most do not fit nicely on different rifles. There was hand-fitting of parts and it is possible parts from different manufacturing plants may be slightly different. I do not have much experience repairing French Berthiers because I always purchase complete matching, working specimens.

Here are views of a Berthier magazine and its guide rails.
berthier 1 .jpg
IMG_3791.2.jpg
IMG_3765.3.jpg
IMG_3769.4.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here are the MVU Loading Block close up views.
IMG_3771.5.jpg
IMG_3766.6.jpg
IMG_3767.7.jpg
IMG_3768.8.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

The magazine and it’s guide rails that seem to differ on some rifles.
IMG_3792.9.jpg
IMG_3808.10.jpg
IMG_3806.11 .jpg
IMG_3821.12.jpg
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Loading block, good fit in the Continsouza. It works well.
IMG_3809.13.jpg
IMG_3820.14.jpg
IMG_3801.15.jpg
IMG_3814.16.jpg
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

The difficulty was with the Chatellerault Berthier. The MVU loading block does not fit due to machining differences to the receiver rails and odd spacing. While it fit my other rifles nicely, the same loading block was not correct for two rifles. It does not stay in place because the loading block overrides the receiver guides and moves forward, releasing the latching tab. The magazine space between the receiver is too wide. Consequently, the loading block is too narrow for this rifle. There is also a larger gap to the front and rear of the block in this Chatellerault Berthier. This is the same problem encountered with the other receiver/magazine on the carbine where the MVU block did not function. There was no problem with a tight fit on any of the rifles. For most, it fit fine and worked well. On the other hand, I observed that, in two others the loading block did not fit correctly due to incorrect size with the sides and the length.

The MVU loading block is a nice device, but it may not work in all rifles due to differences in machining and fit on different Berthiers. It allows you to single fire cartridges if you lack the proper enblock clip. After trying it, I’d prefer an original clip. Have others encountered this problem?
IMG_3804.17.jpg
IMG_3817.j18.jpg
IMG_3800.19.jpg
IMG_3794.20.jpg
Feed back review had similar problem:
His adapters for Carcano and Mannlicher worked flawlessly. However, not the Berthier adapter. Unable to make it work properly. Seller sent two add'l adapters in an effort to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, no joy. My Berthier handles and feeds from actual en bloc clips just fine, but the adapters would not seat and feed properly. Believe that the design of the cartridge lifter is the issue. Despite experimentation, unable to make it work.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Conclusion and Results
IMG_3820.14 copy.jpg
See above photo for the problem area. On some rifles this distance shown by the red arrows is as wide as the block. The ridges on the plastic block shown by the red line, do not stay in/behind the receiver's guide rail on both sides. But on most rifles this block has correct spacing and the block does not move forward. As the block moves forward, the plastic tab that hooks under the clip latch also moves off the latch and allows the MVU loading block to pop out and not stay in the magazine. So in conclusion, on French Berthiers the block works on most, but not all specimens. :shhh: :shifty:
IMG_3820.14 copy 2.jpg
IMG_3800.19.jpg
:roll: :think: :snooty: Pure conjecture, if a block was made to fit my Chatellerault, it most likely would not work in most other rifles because my original loading block works perfect in the other rifles. Make it larger and it would be too tight. :doh: :doh:
Again, go to 6:55 ( near end)on this gun jesus video and it shows the clip in the rifle and a cartridge being loaded & fired:
https://surplused.com/index.php/2020/11 ... nd-beyond/

It functions pretty cool.
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 11.00.29 AM.png
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

This post saved on the Wayback machine archive 5 Jan 2022:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220104133 ... 68&p=31114

Return to “Militaria and Firearms Accessories”