Switch out bullets?

Kurt

Switch out bullets?

Post by Kurt »

Hello again. I have some WCC 57 head stamped 7.62X51 ammo with FMJ bullet. I want to switch out for a 150-grain soft point for hunting. I haven't pulled any bullets on these but I'm assuming they are 147 grain. How was this ammunition loaded as far as powder charge? Are they close to maxed out? I ask because of the added 3 grains of the SP bullet and the probable ogive difference I plan on replacing them with? Thank you for the help. The rifle is a modern sporting rifle in 308 WIN.
Kurt

Re: Switch out bullets?

Post by Kurt »

I decided 3 grains in bullet weight couldn't be significant so I tested a few and all was fine. No pressure signs. Sometimes I get too cautious. Thanks.
DaleH

Post by DaleH »

Haha, people used to do that for Match shooting and they called it the ‘Mexican match’.

And yes, 3 grains would not do anything, as you’re likely to get a 1-1/2 grain deviation, if not more between the bullets already.

Glad it worked for you! Now go tag one!
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

A general rule of thumb is to use the same charge weight for all bullets of a similar shape & weight.
Shape matters because the bearing surface may be longer than a spitzer type & this can increase pressure.
with 7,000 Gr to a pound 3 is a pittance of change!
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Thanks for the replies. They shot pretty well. I almost got MOA but my skill level kicked in and wrecked it.

Return to “Reloading”