72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Norinco 9mm Tokarev magazines

Post by 72 usmc »

img_5375 (large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
7262430-20099941-thumbnail.jpg
img_5356 (large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I have never owned a 9mm Norinco Commercial Tokarev, but was amazed by a post on Gunboards. see
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/unkno ... t-10906226

Screen Photofrom above source: Many thanks to Taras Bulba for this concise information.
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 7.56.41 PM.png

It seems that not just any magazine will fit a 30 year old Norinco. :shhh:
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Norinco 9mm Tokarev magazines

Post by 72 usmc »

The original Tokarev was not chambered in 9mm, it utilized the Russian made, 7.62X25mm Tokarev round that is longer than a 9mm Parabellum (Luger) round. The Chinese-made Norinco 213 uses a different size redesigned magazine. Since the original 7.62 Tokarev cartridge is longer than a 9mm Luger cartridge, Norinco had to place a metal spacer block inside the pistol’s mag well to accommodate the smaller front to back dimension of their 9mm magazine. The Chinese thought that this was a nice fix to adapt the Norinco 213 to a more available, cheaper ammunition. The single stack, smaller size, Norinco magazine holds 7-8 rounds. With this different magazine, and with the modification to the pistol’s mag well, the pistol grip remains the same size as a normal Chinese Tokarev. This modification maintains the same slim profile of the Tokarev pistol’s grip. These started to appear around 1987-1993.
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.15.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.15.25 PM.png (87.44 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.11.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.14.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.14.49 PM.png (122.55 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 6.41.38 PM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

To complicate things, Norinco apparently made yet another conversion to their 9mm magazine type. The second version of the 9mm magazine maintains the same size and shape of a normal 8 round, Type 54 Tokarev magazine. The two pistol models do not allow for use of both types of modified 9mm magazines. Each utilizes a different magazine. Some Norinco Chinese 213 pistols only utilize the normal looking military Tokarev magazine that has been modified by placing a spacer inside the magazine itself, - the filler strip is placed inside the magazine, not in the pistol’s magazine well. This filler spacer bar is needed for reliable feeding of the smaller 9x19 ammo. In addition, a shorter follower is also used.
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.08.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.09.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.09.36 AM.png (222.5 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.34.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.34.46 PM.png (385.1 KiB) Viewed 970 times
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Two versions of Norinco 9mm magazines exist: one is a new design requiring a spacer bar placed inside the magazine well of the pistol so it can utilize a smaller front to back magazine, and a second version that maintains the normal, military Tokarev magazine. However, this is a specially modified Type 54 magazine. It has been modified by the insertion of a spacer bar that is placed inside the magazine in order to accommodate the shorter 9mm cartridge. There is no modification to the pistol’s magazine well- all alterations are confined to the magazine. To add slightly more confusion, this Norinco 9mm magazine can have a normal military style, flat, metal base plate or I have seen some that have a plastic base plate with an angled extension to allow more surface area to pull the magazine out. This after market magazine is similar to the magazine shape found on a Tokagypt 58.
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.10.49 AM.png

The result is you really need to know what type of 9mm magazine you need as a replacement or secondary magazine if you own one of the Norinco, Commercial Model, 9mm Tokarevs.

Norinco Tokarev Type 54 Model 213 9mm Pistol Overview by replica Airguns
Saturday, September 01, 2012
https://www.replicaairguns.com/posts/20 ... rview.html
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 11.15.38 AM.png
picture 945.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
The Navy Arms TU 90, Chinese made, 9mm Tokarev looks like a Tokagypt 58. This is another odd ball, yet interesting pistol. Like the 213, this pistol was sold in the early1990s before the importation of Chinese firearms was halted in1993; at that time the import of most Norinco firearms and their ammunition into the United States was blocked under new trade rules. The sale of the Norinco 213 and the Navy Arms PU 90 came to a halt.
old ironsight photo.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 11.15.50 AM.png
From 1990-1993, Norinco produced a further-improved version of the Tokarev. It was designed specifically for the US civilian market and imported into Ridgefield NJ by Navy Arms. This Tokarev is also a 9mm version that was designated the TU-90. It actually looks similar to the Hungarian-designed, Egyptian-built Tokagypt of the 1960s. The TU 90 was only sold by Navy Arms Company and differed from the 213 only in the type of wrap around grips that covered the back of the frame similar to a Tokagypt.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.24.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.25.18 PM.png
The Navy Arms PU 90 Tokarev came in the original box with a 7.62x25mm and a 9mm barrel. This was its best selling point for a potential buyer. The TU 90 pistol sold as a kit that allows the use of both 7.62mm Tokarev as well as 9mm Parabellum ammunition.  Changing from one caliber to another involves changing the barrel, recoil springs, and magazines, but this is easily done by the owner. Many shooters consider the TU-90 to be the better version of the Tokarev because the boxed set came with the 9mm pistol and two 9mm magazines. In addition, it also contained a 7.62x25mm barrel, recoil spring, and two 7.62x25mm magazines. Both of these 9mm Norinco pistols (models 213, and TU-90) used a modified military type, Chinese type 54 magazine that had a metal spacer inserted into the rear inside of the full size military magazine and a shorter follower for the 9mm cartridge. When the 7.62x25mm cartridge was selected to be fired. It required the switching of the barrel and recoil spring and the use of a normal military magazine. The TU 90 did not use a narrow 9mm magazine, no spacer was set into the magazine well. The conversion of a normal Type 54 Chinese magazine with a spacer bar extending down the full length of the back inside of the magazine and the addition of a 9mm size follower is called the “wide” 9 mm Tokarev conversion by some.
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.23.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.24.13 PM.png

I
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.23.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.34.46 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.34.46 PM copy.png (447.66 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.23.31 PM.png
I do not own any Norinco Commercial Tokarevs. I am unclear what these magazines actually look like in person. In summary, it appears that two models of the Norinco 213 exist: an early model that used a narrow, newly manufactured 9mm magazine requiring a spacer pinned to the back of the magazine well; and a later model that used the normal 7.62 military magazine modified with a spacer placed inside the magazine and a shorter follower. This seems to be the case.
If anyone actually owns both the Norinco 213 and PU 90 I welcome comments and corrections.
Most photo sources have been obtained off the web. Or are screen views.
It seems that finding these in the original box with all items intact after 30 some years is a hard find. Intact with packaging these are collectable. I have never seen a Navy Arms TU 90 in the original package with all its parts to the set.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

I was never into these cheep commercial Chinese knock offs. A few of us were after WW II bring back Russian Toks or Viet Nam Chinese Tokarevs. Then came the influx of Polish & Romanian Toks with so much cheep ammo it was a deal to get them. We collected them by production year. Then came the Yugos. These most collected by creast type or production year. And finally the recent influx of Chinese Toks with the Gloc like trigger & import mark. Some that never got any Nam bring backs collected these by receiver markings. I never did run into any Korean or Hungarian examples. A truly rare find :shhh:
Charles Lipscomb

Post by Charles Lipscomb »

You have thhe commercial pistols well covered.
Back in the early 90s my mom's then boyfriend wanted a cheap pistol o kep in his tow truck. I suggested one of the Chinese 9mm Tokarev copies.
He bought it after seeing my Russian tt33.
Being cheap but wanting an extra magazine I loaned him two of my tt33 mags after I removed the spacer. Its inky held in place by a pin held in place by the grips.
He never actually shot it in the year or so he had it.
When he decided to sell it I made sure to put it back as it was and get my mags back. 😁

One thing I didn't like about that 9mm was the redesigned slide and cuts. The changed the profile at the rear of the slide as well as the top of the frame. The slide ended up with two sharp projections on the bottom rear. Just waiting to open a meaty high grip

Around the same time my buddy Georges and his friend wanted one each after seeing ads for them
George's was Greek by birth and loved guns. He had a Savage m99, break action revolver, a tennis carcano in 7.35 he hunted hogs with. Huge variety.
He had previously bought a Yugoslavian m7a, well the civilian export model the TT9 imported by American Arms of Kansas.
I picked up one myself on GB in 2010.

Anyway I used my license to get him two of the chromed pistols with black levers, trigger etc as picturesd.
Along with three extra mags each and two Chinese t54 holsters in black with the corduroy lining. And ammo pouches.
I went heavy on the extra mags because of the price and I didn't know of any place that might have them.
I ordered them from Valor in Miami Florida just over the county line from me.

I didn't know it at the time but while they listed the pistols as only having one magazine Norinco actually shipped them with two. The pistols I got each had one magazine numbered to the pistol whole all of the spares were numbered to other pistols.
Valor had removed all extra mags to sell separately.
Not cool.
But Geotges and his buddy were happy with their pistols and all the extras I got them for under 300 bucks.

Thise used the narrow body mags. I think all of the mags were black, but then its been 30 years.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

The TU-90 was imported by Navy Arms only and differed from the other models only in the type of grips on them. They had plastic wrap around grips that covered the back of the frame like on the Tokaegypt export model pistol from Hungary. The NA pistols also came in kits that in addition to the 9mm pistol and 2 magazines had a 7.62x25mm barrel,recoil spring,and 2- 7.62x25mm magazines. There was also a 7.62x25mm/38 Super kit.

The 9mm models 54,54-1, and TU-90 used a modified Type 54 magazine that had a spacer running the full length of the back of the inside of the magazine and a shorter follower for the 9mm cartridge which is shorter than the 7.62x25mm cartridge. These magazines are commonly referred to as the "wide" 9mm Tokarev magazines. The model 213 had a spacer pinned to the back of the magazine well. It used a completely new design/mfg. magazine sized for the 9mm cartridge. These are commonly referred to as the "narrow" 9mm Tokarev magazines.

There was also a Norinco model 213-A 9mm pistol that differed from the others in that it had a different frame that used a 14rd double stack magazine.
source of quote is : https://www.buymilsurp.com/chinese-type ... -5161.html

A review when the late 1980s Norinco garbage appeared from 2011 Gun Digest: https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns ... its-clones
In the late 1980’s Norinco began producing new Type 54 pistols for the North American market. The first ones were military issue guns with the added safety. Then they made new models including a convertible kit with 7.62×25 and 9mm barrels and magazines. Norinco also produced a 9mm Tokarev it called a model 213. It was made with standard eight round magazines. Some were made for Navy Arms that are called a TU-90. These have a wrap around grip like that found on the Hungarian Tokaygpt. There was also a wide grip model that used a 12 round magazine. Many thousands of Norinco Tokarevs were imported before the Clinton administration banned import of rifled firearms made by Norinco.

Was too many clones https://www.pmulcahy.com/pistols/chinese_pistols.htm
Norinco Type 54
Notes: The Type 54 is basically a direct copy of the Russian Tokarev TT-33 with some minor differences in weight and dimensions due to manufacturing methods and materials used. It is otherwise the same weapon.
The Type 201C is basically a Tokarev that has a safety catch, as well as a half-cock safety. It also fires 9mm Parabellum ammunition instead of 7.62mm Tokarev.
The Type 213 is a Type 54 chambered for 9mm Parabellum ammunition and equipped with a manual safety (unlike the Type 54 or Tokarev). The Type 213A is a Type 213 with a wider grip to accept a double-column magazine. The Type 213B is a Type 213 with molded rubber grips for shooter comfort. In the late 1990s, a variant of the Type 213A was captured in Russia from a raid on a criminal organization; it is identical to the standard Type 213A, but has a longer grip housing a 20-round magazine. In game terms, this version of the Type 213A costs $3 more, and weighs 0.02 kilograms more.
In 1990, the American firm of Navy Arms convinced Norinco that a market existed in the US for a Tokarev-based pistol. (It was a small market, but anyway…) From 1990-95, Norinco produced a further-improved version of the Tokarev, designed specifically for the US civilian market, called the TU-90 (also known as the NP-10, particularly when exported). The TU-90 is actually quite similar to the Hungarian-designed, Egyptian-built Tokagypt of the 1960s, albeit in a greatly-improved form. The TU-90 has a manual safety/slide lock similar to that found on many Western pistols (most Tokarevs modified with a manual safety of some sort have ones that are rather awkward for the shooter). The TU-90 also has a half-cock safety, along with a passive firing pin safety. Construction is primarily of forged and machined steel, with a matte blued finish. The grips are of somewhat soft wrap-around rubber which is ribbed on the side and shaped so that the shooter’s thumb can easily gain a solid grip on the pistol. (The shooter can also replace those grips with standard Tokarev-type grips, which are smaller but not nearly as comfortable.) Perhaps the best feature for a potential buyer is the way a TU-90 is usually sold – as a kit that allows the use of both 7.62mm Tokarev as well as 9mm Parabellum ammunition. (With a little extra work, the 9mm Parabellum kit can be used with both 9mm Parabellum and .38 Super ammunition.) Changing from one caliber to another involves changing the barrel, recoil springs, and magazines, but this is easily done by the shooter himself. Many shooters consider the TU-90 to be the best version of the Tokarev ever made.
Twilight 2000 Notes: In the Twilight 2000 timeline, the Type 213 and Type 201C are fairly common (but nowhere near as common as the Type 54), the 213A is much less common, and the 213B is something normally found only in the hands of high-ranking officers or foreign civilians lucky enough to have obtained one before the start of hostilities. The TU-90 was briefly available in the West, but export stopped early in 1993; production continued in China well into the Twilight War, and then started again in 2010.
Merc 2000 Notes: The Type 54 is extremely common among Chinese troops, while the Type 213 series is a popular export product.
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 2.36.09 PM.png
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

An interesting aftermarket conversion kit for Tokarevs offered by Lever Arms.
An update: They are in Canada and do not ship parts to the US. :hand: Us citizens need not apply :violin:
Just noticed they are in Canada and won’t ship to the US, tried but couldn’t check out. Bummer.
:(

The kit come with a 9mm barrel and two finger grip, Tok magazines with a spacer inside each magazine to adopt them to 9mm Parabellum (Luger) See the crimp marks along the back side of the mags.
Note :arrow: These magazines will not work with a Tokarev chambered in 7.62x25mm and will not work in Norinco Tokarevs with a Magwell Spacer in the pistol grip's magazine hole. Normal 7.62x25mm ammunition will not fit into the adapted mag with its spacer inserted toward the rear of the normal size Tokarev 8 round magazine. Because the kit's two magazines are full size tokarev magazines, they will not fit an early Norinco that uses the narrow 9mm magazine because the spacer bar is fixed into the well of the pistol. A normal size 8 round Tokarev magazine no longer fits these 9mm modified Norinco Tokarev commercial pistols. Lever Arms indicates these mags are made in China. They do not indicate if the 9mm barrel is also made in China. The kit price is $140 and additional modified Chinese magazines are $40.

This kit does not offer the different recoil spring nor is the barrel bushing changed. I assume a normal tokarev barrel with land diameter of 7.62mm is enlarged( Bored) to a land diameter 8.82mm in order to safely fire the 9mm Parabellum .355 bullet instead of the Tokarev's .312 bullet. The tokarev round 7.62 has more energy. But it's maybe like only around 100 ft/lbs more. Hence no recoil spring switching. I am not sure why the Navy Arms kit came with a different recoil spring? I am not sure if the switch will cause jams, deformed brass, or throw the brass into the next field. It will be interesting to see how these Lever Arms kits work. And do these mags work in Commercial Norinco pistols that utilize a spacer in the magazine? Will they cause jams? Are they similar to Norinco original magazines? Has any one used these lever Arms replacement 9mm mags?

Thanks to Allen https://www.gunboards.com/threads/tokar ... m.1209243/, here is a link to the kit: https://leverarms.com/shop/kit/magazine ... ine-combo/
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 3.14.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 3.04.21 PM.png
Chinese 9mm Luger Caliber Tokarev Barrel/Magazine Combo
8 Round/Single Stack Magazine with 9mm Luger Barrel for Chinese Type 51/Type 54 Pistols.
May work in other standard configuration Tokarev Pistols. Consult Gunsmith on Installation.
Will Not work in Yugoslavian M57 Tokarevs.
Additional Mags Available Here:

www.leverarms.com/shop/kit/magazines/9m ... -magazine/

Magazines will not work in Tokarevs with Magwell Spacer.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

3 Jan 2022 post saved on the wayback archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220103233 ... 46&p=32145

Return to “Combloc Pistols”