Finally Got My 1st Garand

boltactionbill

Finally Got My 1st Garand

Post by boltactionbill »

Hello all its been a while since I've posted something basically because it's been a while since I've purchased something new. Well new to me anyway.

What I have here is a somewhat late production Garand. This was a CMP Service Grade that I bought from an estate. The late gentleman got it in 2007 and never fired it. Still had the CMP tag on the front sling swivel. Muzzle gauged at a 1 throat at 2+ according to the CMP tag. New CMP stock that was heavily dark stained. It appears to be a 1955 receiver with an 11/54 barrel. Production numbers on op rod and bolt match the serial number time period. The trigger housing and internal parts are from all over WWII.

Did a couple of turpentine rubdowns on the stock to lighten it up without sanding. A couple of coats of BLO and she's as pretty as you see her here. I've given before and after shots for comparison. It shoots and functions excellent in fact better than my 60+ year old eyes can work open sights. The groups are acceptable for an old guy. My only regret is that I didn't get one of these when I was younger with better eyes. The picture in the box is the before shot.
Attachments
20210926_132917.jpg
20210922_125711.jpg
boltactionbill

Re: Finally Got My 1st Garand

Post by boltactionbill »

Apparently I neglected to mention that it's a Springfield Amory receiver with all identifiable parts being SA marked. Even the parts from different time periods are SA.
NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

Beautiful rifle - awesome find.
Hammerdown

Post by Hammerdown »

Welcome to the ping club. Every time at the range when the clip come out with a ping everyone looks over at me.
Nice rifle but be careful their addictive.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!
boltactionbill

Post by boltactionbill »

Hammerdown wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm Welcome to the ping club. Every time at the range when the clip come out with a ping everyone looks over at me.
Nice rifle but be careful their addictive.
Bang, Ping, Giggle, Repeat.
I've been indoctrinated rather quickly in the joys of the M1 and yes they are addictive.

Return to “US Rifles”