South African 8mm Mauser MM Headstamp

CETME HK 91, 93 etc.
KneverKnew

South African 8mm Mauser MM Headstamp

Post by KneverKnew »

I picked up some of this MM head stamped 8 mm Mauser ammo dated 1942. I was able to determine it was made in South Africa but can’t find any information on its performance, pressure levels, etc. Does anyone have experience with this ammo and no any more specifics about it? Mainly is it safe to use in a semi auto or strictly for bolt action?
ammolab

Re: South African 8mm Mauser MM Headstamp

Post by ammolab »

The MM 42 8mm is Canadian manufactured. It is 154gr FMJ like the early German S load of WW1. It is Boxer NONcorrosive primed and one of best and most sought after surplus 8mm rounds. It can have MM 43, and MM 44 headstamps also.

Most repeated story is that it was contract made in the 1950s for the CIA to supply “freedom fighters” that were fighting against commie regimes. Most or all was never used and sold to Interarms in the 1960s. I still have a few of the 44rd boxes and shoot it once in a while. Should be good in bolt, semi, and full auto weapons.

Here is a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewaxh4gLGJY
KneverKnew

Post by KneverKnew »

Thank you for the info on my ammo.
Does my 42 dated ammo still fall in the production range of the Canadian made 8mm? Seems he only mentioned 43 and 44 unless i missed that part.
KneverKnew

Post by KneverKnew »

I found the part where he included 42

Return to “German and Spanish Rifles”