M38 middle band retaining pin?

bobvz

M38 middle band retaining pin?

Post by bobvz »

What are you using to replace the middle band pin? I've thought of adapting a VZ 24 pin by drilling and tapping the band. A nail has been suggested to me as well - using it as a rivet. Interested in other ideas. Can't find original replacements.

Thanks,

Bob
ffuries
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger

Re: M38 middle band retaining pin?

Post by ffuries »

bobvz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:20 am What are you using to replace the middle band pin? I've thought of adapting a VZ 24 pin by drilling and tapping the band. A nail has been suggested to me as well - using it as a rivet. Interested in other ideas. Can't find original replacements.

Thanks,

Bob
Mine came with a nail, looks like a finishing nail. I thought it was a little "Bubba Like" but found out it was a normal thing on Turkish Mausers. I've had that rifle since Jan 2011 and the same nail is still in it, fits pretty snug.

I'm assuming it came from Turkey that way, as the rifle was still slathered (Drowning) in old grease.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
bobvz

Re: M38 middle band retaining pin?

Post by bobvz »

Yeah, the ones I've seen are a pin with a round headed slotted screw head on one end and a smaller diameter tip that projected through the small hole on the left side. This was apparently peened with a hammer to rivet it in.

Return to “Turkish Rifles”