.303 Lee Enfield Ammo pouch

M67

.303 Lee Enfield Ammo pouch

Post by M67 »

I got two Lee Enfield Ammo pouch from 1940.
Are they real or reproduction?

I put inside two SMLE clips in one pocket to check the right size. I noticed that the clips have different shape.
Attachments
303 ammo.JPG
303 ammo pouch.JPG
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: .303 Lee Enfield Ammo pouch

Post by 72 usmc »

I do not like the white thread and the odd snap ends. Also I do not see the over all lack of tarnish you see even on NOS items stored since WWII. I do not know and do not mess with British web gear. But what I see in the US generally has some patina to the brass and wear to the web fabric even if almost new web gear. Thread is a tan color. Generally NOS web gear has a flat crush from years of storage that is hard to undo, the brass gets a patina and you see flat spots on the web from crush and rubbing on NOS gear that is original. I do not have that feel with yours. I do not like the bottom base portion of the snap- I have not seen that on British items at US flee markets or gun shows which makes me think too new- a modern reproduction made cheeper that a solid brass tab??? All speculation on my part. We need a British collector.
s-l1600-2.jpg
green example with crush from storage
s-l1600-3.jpg
I will assume a British collector will come along and give some accurate input- my feeling is reproduction due to odd snaps, color of thread, lack of storage wear or patina, and mold smell????

I wonder if it could be an Italian made pouch that you see at surplus stores in the US??? see this link. The photo does not show the snaps. Thread is white like yours??
Genuine three ammo webbing pouch for 303 Enfield from Italian Army WWII.
Made in: Italy
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 456 times
see GB:
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/itali ... g.1157081/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is the clip . Look at its markings>
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... ings/25560
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Then here is an original with light thread , but not as thick thread as yours:
Your photo does not show the snap head?? so for consideration this photo. This will be an interesting post you started... :clap:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=64

photo from libertytreecollectors
EP.Trp.K.jpg
Notice even these have been flattened out & have storage wear. I do not see that in your examples???
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

A different Italian version with American snaps:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224623577404?h ... SwXM1hT4xM
s-l1600-4.jpg
Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

The chargers are different "Marks".
The one with the slotted rear spine is a WW1 vintage Mk1.
The other it the (horrible Mk IV) IIRC. it will be stiff & hard to load/unload because of the round "spring cut outs", instead of the oval ones.
The Mark (version) was usually stamped on them somewhere.

I've never seen a Brit ammo pouch like that with the buckles & snap closures both being "off"
M67

Post by M67 »

thanks for your professional and photo-supported opinion. but I must add that the thread is green and not white.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”