7.7x58 Japanese Arisaka hard to find.

boesman82

7.7x58 Japanese Arisaka hard to find.

Post by boesman82 »

So I got myself a Japanese Type 99 on layaway at my local gun store.
Due to the ammo crunch they don't have much ammo. I figure I might get brass and ammo online but no go.

So I figure I will ask here if anyone knows any good retailers that might have either the ammo or brass in for reloading?

I have checked, graf and sons, midway usa, sinclair, ammo to go, and a bunch of retailers online. Nothing, nata and zilch.

I do not intend to use gunjoker since I have time before it will be in my hands for fun time at the range.
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 7.7x58 Japanese Arisaka hard to find.

Post by Rapidrob »

7.7 Jap is easy to make from .30-06
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
Merle1

Post by Merle1 »

yep, it is easy to make 7.7 - but be advised that some Jap chambers are so big that case splits are a problem.

start your loads very light and work up gradually....
boesman82

Post by boesman82 »

I figured that is what I am going to have to do.

It sounds like I need to stay away from using mil-spec brass. I use those for 8mm Mauser. My Hakim and M76 sporter do a number on the brass.

Commercial 30-06 good to use?

I did see that graf and son has ppu and norma in.
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rapidrob »

Actually milspec brass is a better was to go as the stronger web can take a slight bulge better if the chamber is large. Also the reduced capacity of the military brass will give you better performance with reduced loads.
I shoot nothing by re-sized '06 brass out of my rifles and have never has an issue.
With the correct diameter bullets,even the chrome lined bore is very accurate out to 800 yards.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
dmg4

Post by dmg4 »

Tangential to the main thread, but, the Hakim and Ljungman will do a number on just about any brass. Rob might be able to advise you on an adjustable gas valve for the Hakim that would make it bite a little less. Works on the Ljungman just fine.

There was a guy called Mr Nambu who used to sell excellent reloaded Jap ammo - new Prvi brass and JSP bullets (can I still call it that without getting doxed and Twitter-mobbed?).
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.
ammolab

Post by ammolab »

dmg4 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 am Tangential to the main thread, but, the Hakim and Ljungman will do a number on just about any brass. Rob might be able to advise you on an adjustable gas valve for the Hakim that would make it bite a little less. Works on the Ljungman just fine.

There was a guy called Mr Nambu who used to sell excellent reloaded Jap ammo - new Prvi brass and JSP bullets (can I still call it that without getting doxed and Twitter-mobbed?).
Hakims are already equipped with a gas valve that needs to be adjusted for operation and minimum brass damage. They also had a rubber buffer on the receiver cover “rail”-handle that is lost on most rifles. Putting a rubber hose piece with a zip tie will stop that big dent a Hakim puts in your brass. Original rubber buffet pictured..
C1053342-F6B0-4C48-910C-2307F796D2DF.jpeg
boesman82

Post by boesman82 »

I need one of those for my Hakim.

Well I guess I will use the PPU 7.7x58 brass when they come in and resize some of the 30-06 military brass as extras.

Lots of good information. I will have to adjust my gas setting on the Hakim and the M76 to see if I can make my brass last longer.

I reload all my 8mm so I can always go a little lower. Once I pick up the rifle, say next month sometime I will start a load for it. It seems that milspec is 181gr bullet so I will go with a 180gr

Any other good suggestions? Thank you all for the input.
Tuna

Post by Tuna »

It is my understanding the Mr. Nambu has passed away. He loaded 6.5 and 7.7 rifle. 8mm Nambu pistol ammo too. The family sold off what he had at the time which was not much. One might try Buffalo bullets for loaded rifle ammo. Hornady used to load both rifle rounds but no longer does do so. One thing to get brass is to use 8x57. Size in a 7.7 sizing dies and load. Only one MM short. The will expand. Then just neck size after that.

Return to “General Ammunition”