Stevens armory rifle

nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Stevens armory rifle

Post by nrobertb »

I always wanted to own one of these Stevens armory rifles (.22 LR) like the center rifle in the second photo. Years ago I saw two nice ones at the Kittery trading post in Maine. Unfortunately they wouldn't sell to me because I lived in New York. :x
Attachments
Stevens.jpg
Stevens44ActionRifleGroupRtSideR-1.jpg
armory rifle.jpg
dmg4

Re: Stevens armory rifle

Post by dmg4 »

Wow... Bad on KTP! That's wrong on so many levels for a long gun sale. It must be they are just pissed at the NY SAFE act. I've bought scads of guns at KTP, both when I liven in NH and after I moved to upstate NY (including a revolver). Nothing since King Cuomo ascended to the throne however.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rapidrob »

What is really fun info on these rifles is what they were used for. At the turn of the last century shooting .22LR rifles at long range was very popular. So much so that "special" rifles were made for the shooters to compete with. Remington even made a take down rifle that could be carried by the tram or buss that went to the ranges.
One of the most popular and prestigious ranges to hold long range matches was Sea Girt,NJ. The range was so popular that a tram line was run to it!
The "normal distance was 200 yards for the rifles. The scores shot were very impressive indeed. Many of the groups could be covered with a quarter and the winners groups covered with a dime.
But what a lot of owners of these fine rifles did not know is that the winners of the 200 yard shoot could and did compete at 500 yards!
I have a few books mentioning this match and the results.
Many of the old single shot rifles were made for the Sea Girt type of matches. It hard to believe how popular that type of shooting was.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by nrobertb »

I should clarify. It wasn't the fact that I lived in NY state that was the problem, it was the specific location. They looked in their book of gun laws and Suffolk County (Long Island) had some law they didn't like. I forget now exactly what it was.
nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by nrobertb »

Well, at long last I've got a Stevens armory rifle. Because someone cut the forestock back to just behind where the front sling swivel normally is, I got it for $300 less than they have been selling for. Plus there is a nice Weaver scope which is an unexpected bonus. I don't have it in hand yet, but when I do, I will let you know how it shoots.
Attachments
669b.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Topics”