A repost of a very old topic....

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A repost of a very old topic....

Post by Rapidrob »

In the late 70's I was on a US Navy shooting team while stationed at San Diego,CA.
I was on the teams Rifle and Pistol squad. ( each man of war ship could have a shooting team)
While I prefer long range rifle shooting ( out to 1,000 yards with a M-14 match rifle) we did have a lot of fun shooting handguns in bullseye competition. Today this is pretty much a dead sport which is a shame as it was a lot of fun with a much more relaxed atmosphere than rifle shooting.
The matches were three gun. .22 Pistol at 25 yards ( some matches were 50 yards) ..... Mid-Range, this was open to .32 and .38 Special caliber pistols firing a Wad-Cutter bullet at 25 yards, and Hard-Ball at 50 yards.
I used my S&W Model 41 .22LR target pistol and my .45 ACP 1911 that I built from a parts kit.
The mid-range pistol was "issued to me" by the teams C.O.
It is a 1911 .38 Super converted to .38 special. The Army had come up with the design and they called it the .38 AMU ( Army Marksmanship Unit)
My pistol was modified by two companies who collaborated together to make the pistol. Both out of CA. Bo-Mar who is noted for their outstanding pistol sights for matches and Bar-Sto who was noted for their pistol-smithing.
This is an interesting pistol as it is a Locking breech, recoil operated 1911 as is the .45 ACP. ( many are straight blow-back operated)
The .38 Super magazine is modified by hand to load the .38 special cartridge. The cartridge is loaded with the bullet flush or slightly below flush and the case mouth is rolled over to aid in loading.
There is a match bushing guiding the barrel, a match tuned trigger, a special light weight recoil spring and on my pistol a barrel weight to aid in fast recovery during rapid fire keeping the weight at the muzzle of the pistol.
Recoil is so light, the .22 LR ACE kit for the 1911 pistol has almost the same recoil impulse. The pistols slide barely fully cycles and the fired cases drop at you feet.
Accuracy is amazing to say the least. With the 148 grain hollow base wad cutter bullet the bullet obdurates into the rifling so well there is little chance of gas blow-by destroying accuracy.
The pistol is fired using a one-had grip only for the matches.
In my day I could hold my own with the other competitors, some of whom are well know today for their shooting and writing about firearms.
I was allowed to have the pistol "Surveyed" to me when the teams were being disbanded due to lack of funds. The pistol was to be destroyed as it was a Non-Standard issue firearm. I had my FFL by then and transferring it to me was just a ton of paperwork that sailed through the command. Several other team members got to keep their pistols as well.
I continued to shoot for the Navy and the State of Maryland ( stationed at the Pentagon) using this pistol in the late 70's and through the 80's.
Bullseye pistol slowly went out of favor as new shooting sports were more popular. I miss that type of shooting as it was some of the best times of my life.
1911 .38 2.jpg
1911 .38.jpg
1911.38 A.jpg
1911.38 A.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 999 times
1911.38 B.jpg
1911.38 C.jpg
191138Special-1.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
Rapidrob