Type 38 rear sights

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
DarkLord

Type 38 rear sights

Post by DarkLord »

Hey all,

I stumbled into a Type 38 that’s a little rough around the edges. The barrel and action are in great shape, stock is pretty rough, some parts missing, etc. Rear sight base has been beat off of the gun with a large hammer probably a dozen times. My issue is the rear sight…

My original rear sight was just trashed. I replaced it with another from ebay, but it is pretty crappy as well. As a battle sight it’s fine. But when you raise the ladder, the adjustment is crazy loose…and it seems like that might be the norm??
Are there any rear sights that aren’t loosy-goosey in adjustment?
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Type 38 rear sights

Post by 72 usmc »

Odd my sight is tight. The ladder is held on by a pin. Is yours lose, or the pin worn? It should be tight to pull the ladder upright. The slide is spring loaded and is strong and should not move. Is the spring broken? This is common Is the barrel sleeve tight on the barrel ? It should not move, Is the screw tight , missing, or loose? Is the attachment pin mount batter and loose?
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Any photos of the sight in question?
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Type 38 carbine sight. Is the ladder part fit at the base notch where the pin goes through snug or battered. Pin should be very snug.
60J38.10.jpg

If this slide is loose, check the spring to see if its broken. The sight slider may not match the slide and be incorrect.
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 358 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
DarkLord

Post by DarkLord »

Both rear sights I have, when you elevate the ladder, I can turn it probably 20 degrees to the right or the left...both sight ladders are super loose on the sight. Both have the pin, both have the springs, they're just horribly loose. If I move the sight to say 500m, the ladder doesn't sit level. I can reach up and twist it right and left, and I doubt it's even close at the indicated range.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Odd, mine are so tight I have to use a popsicle stick to pry it up and the sight slider is nice and snug and clicks into the side notches. I wonder if there are miss matched parts and the pin hole diameter on the sight base and ladder are different for the pin, Tight on the ladder and lose on the mounts of vice versa ?

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”